Information Communication Technology (ICT)
Although a significant industry sector in its own right, it is the impact of ICT across government, community and other industry sectors which identifies the ICT industry as a critical proponent in the development and growth of the Northern Territory economy.
As in other Australian jurisdictions, ICT is a major driver of productivity growth. The Northern Territory ICT industry has the skills and capability to service all business sectors. As an enabler to government, industry and community, ICT has a critical impact on the economic and social well being of society.
Northern Territory ICT Industry Facts
- 200+ businesses
- 2000+ employees
- multinational and national ICT companies well represented in the NT
- strong and highly capable medium sized local small to medium business sector
- regional and remote areas well serviced
- multinationals mainly service government, defence and petroleum sectors
- local business and industry is serviced by local ICT companies (with the exception of telecommunications).
Northern Territory ICT Industry Scope
The NT ICT Industry comprises the following sectors:
- software and applications development
- applications service providers
- internet service providers
- systems integration
- facilities management
- telecommunications service providers and carriers
- ICT retail sector.
Northern Territory ICT Industry Strengths
- total desktop solutions
- web design and development
- environmental information management
- interactive distance learning programs, applications and delivery
- applications design and development
- information management solutions
- satellite and radio technologies
- mobile satellite tracking technologies (military and business applications)
- radio and satellite systems, network design and installation
- e-business solutions
- telecommunication including remote and offshore applications
- wireless broadband internet
- data and telecommunications infrastructure
- delivery of IT and communications into harsh and remote regions.
Key Industry Contacts
ICT Industry Association of the Northern Territory
Australian Computer Society NT
Content current at 5 January 2010.